Mr. Mudrick is the founder and Chief Investment Officer of Mudrick Capital Management, L.P., an investment firm that specializes in event-driven and special situations investing. Mudrick Capital was founded in 2009 with $5 million under management. As of March 2021, the firm has grown to manage approximately $3.5 billion, primarily for institutional clients. Mr. Mudrick began his Wall Street career in 2000 advising on mergers and acquisition transactions as an Associate in Merrill Lynch’s Mergers & Acquisitions Investment Banking Group. In 2001 he joined Contrarian Capital Management, where he began his focus on distressed investing. In October 2002 he launched the Contrarian Equity Fund, an investment vehicle focused on purchasing distressed debt that would be restructured into equity, post-bankruptcy equities and other event driven deep value special situations. As Managing Director and Portfolio Manager at Contrarian, Mr. Mudrick grew that business to peak assets of approximately $400 million in the Contrarian Equity Fund and close to $1 billion in total assets including the positions Contrarian’s other funds co-invested along-side his fund. He left Contrarian in October 2008 to launch Mudrick Capital.
Mr. Mudrick has served on multiple creditors' committees and served on the Board of Directors of numerous public and private companies, including Safety-Kleen Holdings, Integrated Alarm Services Group, Salton, Rotech Healthcare, NJOY Holdings, Corporate Risk Holdings, Mudrick Capital Acquisition Corporation, Fieldwood Energy, Proenza Schouler, cxLoyalty, Tenerity, Aura Network Systems and Thryv Holdings, where he is currently the Chairman of the Board. Mr. Mudrick was also Chief Executive Officer and director of Mudrick Capital Acquisition Corporation, our predecessor special purpose acquisition company. Mr. Mudrick also spent two years in graduate school teaching economics classes to Harvard University undergraduates. Mr. Mudrick has a B.A. in Political Science from the College of the University of Chicago and a J.D. from Harvard Law School. Mr. Mudrick was previously admitted to the New York State Bar.
- Founded in 2009, Mudrick Capital currently manages approximately $3.5 billion with a specialty in event-driven and special situation investing in public and private companies in North America
- 12 years of capital deployment spanning over 200 investments since the firm’s inception
- Over 30 investments with active involvement via board of directors or creditor committee involvement
- Experienced SPAC sponsor with a track record of successful execution
- First SPAC launch in January 2018, with de-SPAC in May 2020
- Long-term investment focus with history of post-transaction support for our portfolio companies
- Typical hold period for core investments is 5 years, some substantially longer
For more information about Mudrick Capital, please visit https://www.mudrickcapital.com/